Friday, March 5, 2010

Pattern review-Simplicity 3762/View B

Pattern Description: Maternity knit and woven tops

Pattern Sizing:Size R5-14, 16, 18, 20, 22; I made size 20 (GAH! I wanted to cry, joys of pregnancy)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes, minus the inset. (Sorry for the blurry photo)

Were the instructions easy to follow?The instructions were a little more complicated than I thought they needed to be but I was able to follow them okay. It seemed like there were a few things that could have been done an easier/better way if one knew how and had the confidence. I had some ideas to make things easier but just went ahead with the instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I like that these will feel good during my pregnant summer months due to simple fabric choices, but I feel like these are a little "overly" maternity. Just because I am pregnant doesn't mean that I want my clothes to scream "maternity". Also, the casing for the elastic seems too small to get the elastic stretched evenly throughout. My fingers were raw trying to ease it all the way around. I couldn't get it right though so the elastic part is a lot tighter than I think it is supposed to be.

Fabric Used:100% cotton knit

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:Once I finished the shirt and tried it on the inset was huge and gaping so I just cut it out. Once I did this however the casing that houses the elastic kept flipping up and showing. See below for my ideas on this.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I don't think I will make this view again because it was not very flattering for my "pregnant" arms but I will try others on this pattern. I will leave out the insets from now on and I will be using a different method on the elastic casing part and definitely making it wider.

Conclusion: Though there are much cuter maternity clothes RTW in stores I do have to say that this shirt is super comfortable. I will keep this one for around the house and try some of the others on this pattern. If you have big upper arms I would not recommend this view though because it was rather unflattering on me.

No comments: