Tuesday, April 7, 2009

fabric and maxi dress!

Well I went to Hobby Lobby the other day and got some new jersey knits.

The top fabric was for my new maxi dress, compliments of this tutorial, the second is for another top(since I only have two shirts right now lol), and the bottom is for the top that MIL ordered. Well I still have some minor details to finish up and I still have to hem it but here is the new maxi dress!

Here is a close up of the bodice:

I made a good five mistakes on this: bodice is WAY too tight and stretching the fabric under my arms (won't do negative ease next time), prints don't match at seams anywhere (wasn't really trying to but I should have lol), the print on the bodice is running one way and the skirt portion is running the opposite way(oops, realized this halfway through the dress), not really into the cut of the bodice so I am going to use one of my favorite wrap-style sports bras as a pattern next time. So, I learned a lot and I feel like I did okay for not having a pattern and this being my first one. I think I am going to do the next one in a solid color like black. I have been wanting a little jean jacket and I think that would cover up my mistakes on this perfectly lol..Anyway let me know what you think! Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Actually, I could not see any mistakes until you pointed them out. I think the dress looks very good and is very flattering. The print running a different way could just be a "design element"... lol. I wouldn't have bothered matching up the print either unless it was stripes.
I checked out the tutorial after reading about it on your blog and I can't wait to make one of my own.

Sheila said...

The maxi dress looks fabulous and from my point of view I can't see any mistakes... Love it!

Faye Lewis said...

Looks great to me.