Monday, July 6, 2009

On the need for self-esteem...

"Self-esteem is a protective shield designed to control the potential for terror that results from awareness of the horrifying possibility that we humans are merely transient animals groping to survive in a meaningless universe, designed only to die and decay. From this perspective, each individual human's name and identity, family and social identifications, goals and aspiration, occupation and title, and humanly created adornments are draped over an animal that, in the cosmic scheme of things, may be no more significant or enduring than any individual potato, pineapple, or porcupine (Pyszczynski et al., 2003)."

I agree with this but where does that leave me? Does this mean that my self-esteem is low? In this context I would say no. If I already believe that I am totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things then do I need my protective shield? I think...that I think...that I definitely do need it because my fellow social creatures(humans) are most definitely something I need to protect my emotional well-being from.

I have realized that when I compare myself to what I believe is "the rest of the world"I have a very positive self-image. It is only when I compare myself to people in my close social network that my self-esteem plummets and bursts into flames. I haven't quite figured that out yet but I am working on it.


Your thoughts??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand. I feel okay around people I don't know very well, it's when I am around my closest friends that I feel inferior.I know growing up I was always trying to get my father's approval, I never suceeded. He past away 10 years ago.I know I am hard on myself and shouldn't be. I think you are great even though I don't know you. Keep sewing! It helps me!!> good luck Kathy