Friday, September 7, 2018

Just do the things!

While cleaning out the kitchen cabinets tonight, I stepped back and really saw our family's dish situation for the first time in a while. You know how you go about your days, never really paying attention to things like dishes? Well, tonight I did and it was a bad scene. Haha! There are lonely, leftover, nicer dishes whose mates have all been broken, glass mugs that were given to me at a birthday party, various random plastic cups that I never bought but have somehow come to live in our house, water bottles who've lost their lids, warped cheap plastic containers that should have never gone in the microwave and ALL those lids that no longer go to anything. Though its been awhile since I've noticed this, its not the first time. The difference is that this time I got fed up, grabbed the trusty laptop, and ordered new dishes for the house.
I ordered two sets because...well...kids! Everything gets broken in this house.
They're basic.
They're white.
They're not fine china (Kids!).
But they match!
As soon as they arrive I'm throwing out or donating everything in that cabinet that isn't fully functioning. Done, done, and moving on!!

To do a little updating from a couple posts ago, I've since:

  • painted half the living room and a small bit of the hall. However, only the first coat is on and I haven't touched the trim. After having the orange walls for so long, I'm in a bit of shock over the lack of color. Not sure if I don't like it or its just going to take some getting used to. In the end, I have to remember that its more for buyers anyway and I can paint my next house whatever I want.
  • ordered a new computer and monitor. They're on their way and I've no table to put them on! Gah!!
  • worked a little on the resume. There are two job openings I'm trying to apply for that close in a few days. I'm a little stressed about it and a little chicken shit as well but overall, I want to make it happen. At least I can feel like I tried. Gotta get this done Aberiah!
  • registered for that professional conference this month and submitted an application for a scholarship today to attend another next year. I'm not usually the scholarship type. Why? Because I'm chicken shit and don't like to fail! This is stupid, I know, because with most scholarships, simply applying will get you the money. Everyone thinks everyone is applying but no one actually goes through the pain of submitting the thing in the end. I've still been casually listening to my confidence book during commutes and its saying a lot that I've learned on my own over the years. Confidence can be a feeling, ya, but mostly its just about doing the thing, walking the walk, and getting it done. The more you just do things, the higher the probability that something will go right, which in turn will give you a confidence boost to do more, and again. Another takeaway has been about obsessing over perfection. I'm reeeeeeeally bad about this and its one of the reasons it takes me forever to do things and make decisions. I don't mind this aspect of my personality too much because it helps me do a good job at things. I do mind if it gets in the way of my progress. So this week, I told myself I was going to submit that application and it didn't have to be perfect, just submitted. Do the thing! I wrote my little essays at work today while kids were screaming, coworkers were interrupting me, and in between helping customers. Was it my best work? Hell no, but it was okay. Will I fail? Maybe. Did I submit it? Hell yes and felt good about, too. I'll find out in January if I get the money or not. 
  • Know what else I did on my little confidence high at work this week? I asked my boss if I could take any projects off her hands to work on and today I got one! Hopefully, I won't crash, burn, and die trying to figure it out. Haha! 
  • Speaking of confidence and perfectionism. I've been stalling for weeks on the master bath remodel I wanted to have done this year. I've got the money for it and have phone numbers of contractors to call but I'm overwhelmed by options, feel like I can't grasp the process, and basically I'm being chicken shit. Instead of continuing in this stupid way, I'm just going to switch to an easier project to get my feet wet. I'm gonna tackle the kitchen instead! The flooring and window have already been replaced. I'll buy appliances and a snazzier light a little later I think so for now its all about getting rid of a soffit (?), fixing any water damage that may have occurred behind the sink, installing new cabinets and countertops, a back-splash, and a new sink and faucet. That seems waaaaaay easier to me for some reason! My hope is that once I get one remodel under my belt, I'll feel more comfortable and confident to tackle the scary bathroom.

Alright netizens! Time for bed an hour and a half ago. Get out of my face already! ;)


No comments: