Friday, February 15, 2019

Little things from the day

I ran into a quote today...

"You can lie down for people to walk on you and they will still complain that you're not flat enough."

I think it was supposed to be sad and about adult, romantic relationships but then I realized it perfectly sums up exactly how most parents probably feel about the way their kids treat them most of the time. Seen in that light, it kind of made me giggle. Perspective is everything people. ;)

If you've been around this little space of mine, you know I enjoy cooking. I especially enjoy cooking things on a whim. However, I still have to use a recipe, for if I don't things go terribly, terribly wrong. I learned this about myself years ago, decades ago!

Occasionally, I get a little excited and go off course, which is what happened this week, and now I have the most hilariously revolting looking pie in my refrigerator. Here's what happened. I was in store #1...very hungry...saw graham cracker pie crusts in the baking aisle...compulsively and trance-like put one in my cart. This was wildly odd behavior, there were exactly zero things at home to fill this pie crust, and is exactly the reason you should never go to the store starving. A few days later I was in store #2...passed boxed pudding and a light bulb goes off in my head...can put pudding in the crust and that equals pie...puts ridiculous amount of both vanilla and chocolate pudding boxes into cart because no idea how much is needed.

The next night I read absolutely no instructions, because who needs those (I do!!!!), make both types of pudding and pour both into the pie crust. Very pleased with myself but a little worried about how loose it appears and that it's overflowing a little, I put it in the fridge and go to bed. Today, my kids excitedly tried to eat some "pie". Haha! This is the most horrible pie! The puddings mixed together unnaturally and look like cat vomit, you can't serve it as slices at all and instead must scoop your cat vomit pudding out of the pie pan with a spoon and with it you will have bits of graham cracker crust mixed in. Meanwhile, the pudding left in the pan seeps out and fills the holes you created in a loose, "liquidy" way. It looks absolutely disgusting and my youngest can't quit talking about how great it tastes and is the only pie he's ever liked. I think he just likes pudding and its back to recipes for me! :)


via GIPHY

There was a success in the kitchen recently as well though! Something new! Bonus! Forgive me, I will butcher this name but I followed a recipe for Ptichye Moloko(?) but I think that's the Russian name for it. It seems to also be called Bird's Milk so we'll go with that for now! Yeah!
Anyway, its a creamy, sweet, whipped dessert with chocolate on top and is yummy yum yum yum and so naughty!! The kids devoured it and raved which is always nice so I'll be making this again soon. Apparently, there's a cake version as well and I got to try the store bought candy(?) kind, too! Can you feel how unsure I am about what to call what I've eaten?! lol

I played in the garden today and two of the four beds are officially ready to plant. Woohoo! As an aside, while adding blood meal and bone meal to the soil, I discovered that my dog has a major thing for them. I couldn't keep him out of it! At one point I caught him dragging off and tearing open the bag of bone meal to get at it and when I wasn't looking he was trying to eat it out of the dirt! WTH? I let my little one plant a few marigolds in the two beds that were ready, to act as the goldfish of the garden. Why? They're small and expendable. If they die, then I still have work to do with the soil. If they live, then great! I need them there anyway! In my mind, I will finish the other two beds, plan the layout, order the seeds, and get the front and back lawn up to snuff before Tuesday rolls around. In my mind, though, there are about 40 other tasks also begging my attention around here. I'm fortunate to be able to choose and its a problem I'd rather have than not. :)

Other than that, I had my mind blown at a training class for Microsoft Excel 2016 (Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, and Conditional Formatting! Oh, my!!), worried for my bestie who was feeling sick today, earned a trophy in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, scoured the hell out of my bathroom, and did some laundry.

Did I accomplish everything I wanted to today? No! Was it still productive? Yes! Therefore, its a win.


via GIPHY

Goodnight, world.


No comments: