Saturday, January 10, 2009

My first diary


A book I was reading today got me thinking about diaries/journals. When I actually thought about it I was blown away at how many different things I had used in my lifetime to record my thoughts or things that were happening to me at the time. Here is my list and I'm sure it is not limited to blogs, collages, journals, random tablets, tape recorders, unsent emails and letters, side notes in books or highlighted areas, poetry, song writing or recording, buried items, time capsules, napkins,envelopes, letters with boyfriends, friends or family, scrapbooks, pictures, old keep-sakes, short stories, art, my high school planner and one small diary with a locket.

I barely remember my very first diary except for a couple distinct details. I remember it was locked by a clasp and had gold rimmed pink pages inside, I cannot remember if it was dated or if I had written the dates in. I remember the pages were lined and the clasp was faded fake gold with a button that if slid over or up popped the clasp open. The diary was small, probably 3X5" and 1"thick. I have no idea how, why, or when it came to me or even who got it for me. Although I remember trying to "write regularly" in it between the years of about 3rd to 6th grade, maybe. I am wondering who got me this diary and why. Maybe someone thought I needed it or maybe someone just thought that every girl should have one. I think I am going to ask my Mom tomorrow. The most important thing that my first diary gave me with it's little fake locket was a sense of possession. I never felt safe enough to write anything truly secret inside for I knew my mother was a snoop and that my brother would have a field day with it but there was something special about that "locked"clasp--however easily "unlock-able" it was--that makes me want another, more adult like, truly unlock-able one just for the same feeling of secrecy and security. Even just to look inside made me feel secret where I could sit in my room as a little girl and have my private thoughts. That was priceless lol. Now that I am looking back I wish that I had written every single dull moment in that diary or somewhere because now I know that there are so many things that were never recorded and are lost forever; albeit what I ate for dinner every night or verification of my childhood dramas.


What was your first diary/journal experience?


No comments: