Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Today I was on a mission

Today started out like any other. I made a few phone calls and ran to the store to get a few things. Little did I know that I would go on a baking rampage that would last into the night. It all started with my husband wanting english muffins, bagels and hamburger buns from the store.

#1 I am sick of perusing ingredients lists for eggs (my son is allergic), high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, and the rest of the 90 million ingredients I find on the bread items.

#2 I am sick of getting raped cost-wise for bread items, especially if I pay the extra to get the "healthier" kinds.

#3 I am perfectly capable of making these things myself and I had all the ingredients.

So I set out on my mission. First stop-whole wheat bagels...this was my first batch ever and they turned out pretty good.

Next stop-whole wheat hamburger buns. Again, a first for me. I accidentally made them a little small but I can fix that next time. They tasted right though. Woohoo! 2 for 2 so far!

Last stop-homemade bread. I tried a new recipe today for yogurt wheat bread and well, I think that the yogurt cooled the water down too much before the yeast hit so it didn't rise correctly. I will have to try this one again but here is my cute little 1/2 loaf lol. It is so dense inside I don't think we are going to get through it so it was my big dud for the day.

And that was my day.

No comments: