Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A catch-all...

So this is going to be a little of a catch-all. I have a few things rattling around in my noggin and just need to get them down/tell someone.
First, and most pressing is that our heater seems to have broken. It is 65 degrees in our house right now and its the middle of the night. I shudder, pun intended, to think how cold it is going to be in here by morning. Luckily we live in Florida so its not like we are going to freeze or anything. Maintenance will be getting a call from me in the morning...just one of the perks of on-base housing.
Second, with regards to the weather, my seeds are sprouting!!! I documented the beginning of my first container garden here and I am happy to say that it seems to be working. I will give them a little time to become more visible before I photograph them and post here. If all goes well then I will just need to thin them out a little and then go get my two tomato plants and I will be well on my way down gardening lane. Gosh I am so corny sometimes.
Third, I recently got back into sewing and made up a quick knit maternity top. What should have been an easy, quick, comfy top ended up being a disaster that sucked up all of my sewing mojo and spit it out. I will be posting a review soon for that...ugh I don't even want to post any pics but I will. Soooooo, I am getting my mojo back slowly and since I am all preggers and fat and my body is, and will be, ever changing for probably the next year I am focusing on educating myself on all things sewing. I had just started down the "pants fitting" journey before I got pregnant and I still want to master this. I ripped into my "to donate" bag and got out all of my old jeans that I liked but had minor issues and I have started deconstructing them and cataloging measurements, fabrics, design details, etc. I plan on making simple patterns from these and comparing them to each other and to other pants patterns I buy/have to help with my fitting issues. Eventually, I will know my lower body like the back of my hand and be able to fit it like a glove. I found a lot of great fashion design textbooks online as well and have added those to my wish list. I looked up some design school course outlines to see what they basically cover to guide me. I saw things like color theory and design, textiles, fashion drawing/sketching, and obviously they are well versed in the construction of garments, etc. I know zip about most of these things but can see how they would all help me in my quest to becoming a great seamstress. Some of you are probably thinking that this is WAY overboard but this is just the way I do things. As my husband often says about my slightly obsessive compulsive personality, "I go hard." I completely immerse myself in things and soak up anything I can find on the subject.
Fourth, I cooked something new today. Well, I almost always cook something new. What I mean is that I cooked something that I have never had before, French Onion Soup. I got the recipe out of my giant Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (Love this cookbook by the way and you can get your copy here if you want). The soup was low calorie and even though the taste was different than what I am used to it was a bit addicting as I downed three servings of it. My three year old even liked it and that is saying a lot!

Have I mentioned it is COLD in here!!!!

No comments: