Sunday, February 7, 2010

My first garden

I have wanted a garden for years now but we do not own our own home so that poses a problem. I learned about container gardening a few years back but the timing just wasn't right for me. For the last couple of years I have adhere to "clean eating" which is basically eating things from as natural a source as possible. Think, as unprocessed as possible while still being healthy. So, I find myself in the grocery store week after week buying the same things over and over; fruits, veggies, lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats. I'm sick of buying things I could grow on my own.

On with my little story, I bought containers and my soil mixes and some seeds and went to town on my back patio.

I need to keep track of what I am doing so I will just jot down what I did here for observation purposes.

My soil consists of:
1/3 perlite
1/3 peat moss
1/3 potting soil and/or potting mix

I will be using Fish Emulsion for fertilizer bi-weekly

I planted the seeds for:
Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce (looks like leaf lettuce)
Wild Arugula
Large Leaf Italian Basil
Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
Little Gem Lettuce (Romaine Type)

I planted these today and they all say that they should start coming up in 7-10 days. I don't REALLY know what I am doing so we will see what happens. Here's to hoping!

I also purchased some seeds for tomato plants but I don't want to have to start them inside for 6-8 weeks so I may just go buy two tomato plants to put in my pots instead.

When/if the seeds sprout and come through I will take pictures and post them here. Feel free to leave me any tips/tricks in the comments. I need all the help I can get here.

No comments: