Sunday, April 8, 2018

More cheese, please!

Checking in! Since I completed my butterfly project, I'm off on another. I've always wanted to cook my way through an entire cookbook so...I'm going to! :) This was a bit tricky and so required some forethought. I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew (pun intended) with a cookbook full of 100+ recipes. That would take too long and I would like to complete my little project in less than a year tops. Also, I thought it would be smart to narrow the scope of the recipes. I'm a practical woman at heart and not made of money so it was important that my family actually eat the recipes from whatever cookbook I chose. Therefore, all thoughts of healthy foods promptly flew out the window!
I brought home a few cookbooks from the library that were very focused in their offerings (cookbooks solely dedicated to waffles, dump cakes, muffins, mac n' cheese, etc.) and let my family choose what they would like to eat the most of. In the end, Laura Werlin's Grilled Cheese, Please! was the winner.
I made the first grilled cheese from this book last night featuring spinach, manchego cheese, and eggs and it was a smash hit. Forty-nine more to go! Stay tuned for more cheesiness.

In other news, I finished the Armenian genocide book (a solid 4 stars) and went way out in left field with the next book I chose. The one genre I almost always steer clear of when reading is mystery. Something about it just turns me off. It feels too formulaic or something. However, there is this whole sub-genre of mystery called cozy mysteries and to break it down even further, there is a whole sub-genre of cozy mysteries that include actual recipes throughout their stories. It goes something like this, you curl up with your cozy mystery, maybe read the first chapter about a baker who discovers a dead body while baking some cookies, and after reading about her making the cookies, you're rewarded with the actual recipe for those cookies at the end of the chapter! Now you can make the same cookies from the story! I love it. Lol. I don't like mysteries but my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I decided to try one of these books out. If nothing else, it's short, the content will humor me, and I'll get to do some fun cooking. I chose Carrot Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke for this venture and I'm already on chapter 4, so 3 recipes in. 

I'm off to play some Witcher 3!!!❤

No comments: