Monday, July 30, 2018

MJ in my ear

Can we just talk about Michael Jackson right now? I mean, can I get random like that? Of course I can!

I was born here in the 80's so I kind of grew up with Michael Jackson. He was just kind of...everywhere! I like MOST of his songs (I think), he's the king of pop, and I'd even go so far as to say he played some small part of my sexual awakening as a young girl. :o He taught me about Dirty Diana and the way a woman could make him feel. That making changes starts with the Man in the Mirror. He made me feel like a badass when I listened to Bad and he taught me something about AIDS, race, sex, confidence, and we all tried to learn his cool dance moves. 

I listened to MJ on repeat today but only my two favorite songs. No, that's not right. I have three favorite MJ songs. I'll put all three here but I only killed the first two today. They fit the mood somehow. Ready? We're off!

This song comes from the middle of a movie MJ did (I think...all my MJ stuff is mixed together lol). I watched it somanytimes!!! I think it was called Moonwalk. I don't feel like looking it up right now and its not important. These creature people would probably be super creepy to me if I hadn't grown up watching them lose their minds over MJ so many times. Haha. Anyway, I skipped to the music today but another favorite of this video is the end. The dance off between MJ and his disguise was epic for me when I was a kid. I remember trying to copy everything (my brother always seemed much better at this) OR I'd sit and watch transfixed! On top of everything else is the song. Love this song so much still and its a proven fact that it will make me drive faster, run harder, and do more of the things, whatever those may be!!

How great is this next MV! Ah...the whole song/video combo just gets to me still. The lyrics in this song grew on me more and more as I got older and I had more and more people in my life who I wanted to "just leave me alone". Mike really sold it to me, too! I can still feel his hurt and frustration when he's screaming and pleading. Just gets you right there. Well done MJ, well done. :) Also of note is the terrifying mouth that I was sure would chomp him every single time and when he blew my mind at the end and I realized that HE WAS THE RIDE. Symbolism!! Again, kudos.

Last but not least is the MV that had me GLUED to the screen as a young girl; another from the movie I mentioned earlier. I had a crush on MJ back in the day. I'm pretty sure a lot of girls did. His voice was too soft in real life, he was kinda weird and kinda small but when he was doing his thing, he was doing. his. thing!! He had that confidence on stage and while dancing that drew me right in. That and all his crotch grabbing, pelvis pumping, shirt ripping, lip biting, taped fingers, hat pulled down low, leather pants, chains and zippers. I'm pretty sure those all played a part as well... LOL
This is a cover for a Beatles song but I always like this version better...obviously. ;)

Mike got even weirder later, bad things came out, and now he's dead but this Mike from my childhood...he's still pretty great. :) Thanks MJ.

No comments: