Saturday, March 14, 2009

Simplicity 5151 review

Pattern Description: Simple purse with bamboo handles

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?Very easy--even gave special tips to help me out.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I loved how easy it was. I didn't like that I could not find the proper size handles and I did not like the difficulty sewing the handles in. It was easy enough, just really frustrating...if that makes sense. Oh, and I was confused as other reviewers were, about if the pattern wanted 5/8 inch SA or 1/2 inch. I just tried to follow the directions to a T and it turned out fine.

Fabric Used:I used 100% calico on the outside and 100% cotton twill for the lining to give it some more body. I am wondering if I should have just stuck with the calico for the lining as well because the thickness on the seams was hard to get under my presser foot and my feed dogs were having trouble sending it through. However if I just would have sewn in the handles by hand I could have avoided all of this. I still may rip it out and do it by hand so that it will look "correct" to me.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:No design changes except that I used 6 inch bamboo handles instead of the 7 1/2 inch ones the pattern calls for.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I have one now so I don't see a need to make another unless someone wants one(and pays me $100 for it lol). I would recommend this pattern but I would definitely say to just save your time and hand sew the handles in.

Conclusion: I have a great new purse for spring/summer and it only took me a couple of hours.

No comments: