Monday, February 23, 2009

Pattern review for New Look 6854





Pattern Photo:New Look 6854
New Look Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners




Fabric:Denim [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Five different skirts. I made View D here are the back and side views

Pattern Sizing:Size A 8-18 I made an 8.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes very

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?The liked that the pattern was very easy and not very many steps.

Fabric Used:100% cotton denim(thicker) for the final skirt. I first made the skirt using 100% cotton plaid (thinner) to practice.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I originally wanted to make View E but according to the final measurements on the back of the pattern it would have been well above my knee as I am tall so I made View D and took the hem up 5 inches instead. Also I made the hem 1/2" longer in the back than in the front so that it would appear more even. I extended the front darts down another 3 1/4" beyond what the pattern calls for because on the practice skirt I made there seemed to be too much excess fabric there for my body. This helped but it still didn't "cure" the problem. I have never tried any alterations before so these were all just trial and error for me. The lady at Joanns said to use an invisible zipper instead of the regular zipper the pattern called for so I did and I used basting glue on the zipper instead of machine basting it in and that was a lot easier for me except when I got done I realized that I had put the zipper in facing the WRONG way! Next time I will check an extra 14 times before I do anything.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I may sew this again but I will definitely use a lighter weight, stretchier fabric. I was looking for something a little more casual so I will probably make another view from this pattern soon. I would recommend this pattern to others, just to use a lighter weight fabric than I did.

Conclusion: Bottom line--basic, classic, easy, pencil skirt, great staple for any wardrobe and easy to make.


No comments: